About Mercy Health Lakeshore Campus
As the need for a general hospital became apparent, the efforts of Miss Fannie Near and Miss Lottie Near, aided by the Fellowship Club, resulted in Shelby Hospital being built on the present site. Shelby Hospital first opened its doors to the community on August 18, 1925.
The Village of Shelby acquired the hospital in 1938. Additions were completed in 1948 and 1964. In 1969, with the strong support of the community, the hospital was again expanded and remodeled and adopted the name Lakeshore Community Hospital. Other parts of the present facility were completed in 1972 and further remodeling took place in 1977.
In July, 1984, the Village of Shelby transferred hospital ownership to a perpetual, non-profit corporation, governed by a Board of Trustees, consisting of nine or more members.
In 1996, a partnership was formed with Hackley Health Systems. In doing so, a major renovation and addition building project was implemented, which replaced the 1925 section of the building. Lakeshore Hospital became part of the Mercy Health Partners system of care in April 2008.
The primary role of Mercy Health Lakeshore Campus has been, and continues to be, providing an acute care facility to the community. In addition to providing inpatient services, today's outpatient services are continually expanding, as are various outreach educational, and wellness services to the area.
Learn more about our Mission, Vision and Values.
Mercy Health Lakeshore Campus
72 S. State Street
Shelby, MI 49455
Lakeshore Phone Directory
Main Floor Map
View Larger Map